Roman Catholic Diocese of Rodez and Carol Sklenicka

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Rodez (Latin: Dioecesis Ruthenensis) is an diocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in France. The Episcopal seat rests in Rodez. The diocese corresponds exactly to the Department of Aveyron (formerly Rouergue).

Originally erected in the 5th century, the Diocese of Vabres was split off from the diocese of Rodez in the 13th century. In 1801, the diocese was suppressed and merged with the diocese of Cahors and the Diocese of Saint-Flour.

In 1817, the diocese was restored and given jurisdiction over the ancient diocese of Rodez, with the exception of the deanery of Saint Antonin, which was incorporated with the Diocese of Montauban; the ancient Diocese of Vabres; and a few scattered communes of the Diocese of Cahors.

It was suffragan of the archdiocese of Bourges until 1676, then of the archdiocese of Albi, until 2002, when the diocese became a suffragan of the archdiocese of Toulouse.

The current bishop is François Marie Aimé Fonlupt, who was appointed in 2011.

Contents 1 Foundation 2 Saints 3 Middle Ages 4 Early modern period 5 Conques 6 Saints 7 Shrines 8 Natives 9 Ordinaries 10 References

Foundation

Modern tradition attributes to St. Martial the foundation of the church of Rodez and the sanctuary of the Blessed Virgin at Ceignac, for according to Cardinal Bourret, the church of Rodez honoured St. Martial as early as the sixth century. There were bishops of Rodez before 675, as Sidonius Apollinaris mentions that the Goths left it at that date without bishops. Saints

Amantius, who ruled about the end of the fifth century, is the first bishop mentioned. Among others are: S. Quintian of Rodez (Quintianus) who assisted at the Councils of Agde (508) and Orléans (511), afterwards Bishop of Clermont S. Dalmatius of Rodez (524-80) Saint Gausbert (eleventh century), probably a Bishop of Cahors Jean de Cardaillac (1371-9), Patriarch of Alexandria, who fought against English rule Blessed Francis d'Estaing (1501–29), ambassador of Louis XII to Pope Julius II Louis Avelly (1664-6) who wrote the life of St. Vincent of Paul Joseph Bourret (1871–96), made Cardinal in 1893. Middle Ages

The Benedictine Abbey of Vabres, founded in 862 by Raymond I, Count of Toulouse, was raised to episcopal rank in 1317, and its diocesan territory was taken from the southeastern portion of the Diocese of Rodez. Some scholars hold that within the limits of the modern Diocese of Rodez there existed in Merovingian times the See of Arisitum which, according to Louis Duchesne, was in the neighbourhood of Alais.

During the Middle Ages the Bishop of Rodez held temporal dominion over that portion of the town known as the Cité while in the eleventh century the Bourg became the County of Rodez. The cathedral of Rodez (thirteenth and fourteenth centuries) is a beautiful Gothic building, famous for its belfry (1510–26) and unique rood-beam. It was spared during the Revolution for dedication to Marat.

The Cistercian Abbeys of Silbanès, Beaulieu, Loc-Dieu, Bonneval, and Bonnecombe were model-farms during the Middle Ages. Attacked by brigands in the Rouergue country on his way to Santiago di Compostella, Adalard, Viscount of Flanders, erected in 1031 a monastery known as the Domerie d'Aubrac, a special order of priests, knights, lay brothers, ladies, and lay sisters for the care and protection of travellers. At Milhau, Rodez, Nazac, and Bozouls, hospitals, styled "Commanderies", of this order of Aubrac adopted the rule of St. Augustine in 1162. Early modern period

The town of Milhau adopted Calvinism in 1534, and in 1573 and 1620 was the scene of two large assemblies of Protestant deputies. In 1629 Milhau and Saint-Afrique, another Protestant stronghold, were taken and dismantled by Louis XIII.

In 1628 a plague at Villefranche carried off 8000 inhabitants within six months; Father Ambroise, a Franciscan, and the chief of police Jean de Pomayrol saved the lives of many little children by causing them to bo suckled by goats. Conques

The Diocese of Rodez is famous also through the Abbey of Conques and the cult of Saint Faith (Sainte Foy). Some Christians, flying from the Saracens about 730, sought a refuge in the "Val Rocheux" of the Dourdou and built an oratory there. In 790 the hermit Dadon made this his abode and aided by Louis the Pious, then King of Aquitaine, founded an abbey, which Louis named Conques. In 838 Pepin, King of Aquitaine, gave the monastery of Figeac to Conques. Between 877 and 883 the monks carried off the body of the youthful martyr Faith or Foy from the monastery of Sainte Foy to Conques, where it became the object of a great pilgrimage.

Abbot Odolric built the abbey church between 1030 and 1060; on the stonework over the doorway is carved the most artistic representation in France of the Last Judgment. Abbot Begon (1099–1118) enriched Conques with a superb reliquary of beaten gold and cloisonne's enamels of a kind extremely rare in France. Pascal II gave him permission for the name of Ste-Foy to be inserted in the Canon of the Mass after the names of the Roman virgins. At this time Conques, with Agen and Schelestadt in Alsace, was the centre of the cult of Saint Faith which soon spread to England, Spain, and America where many towns bear the name of Santa Fe. The statue of St. Faith seated, which dates from the tenth century, was originally a small wooden one covered with gold leaf. In time, gems, enamels, and precious stones were added in such quantities that it is a living treatise on the history of the goldsmiths' art in France between the eleventh and sixteenth centuries. It was known during the Middle Ages as "Majesté de Sainte Foy". The shrine enclosing the relics of the saint, which in 1590 was hidden in the masonry connecting the pillars of the choir, was found in 1875, repaired, transferred to the cathedral of Rodez for a novena, and brought back to Conques, a distance of 40 km, on the shoulders of the clergy. Saints

Among Saints specially honoured in the Diocese of Rodez and Vabres are: S. Antoninus of Pamiers; Apostle of the Rouergue (date uncertain); S. Gratus and S. Ansutus, martyrs (fourth century); S. Namatius, deacon and confessor (end of fifth century); St. Tarsicia, granddaughter of Chlothar I and of Radegunda, who retired to the Rouergue to lead an ascetic life (sixth century); Saint Africanus, wrongly styled Bishop of Comminges, who died in the Rouergue (sixth century); S. Hilarian, martyred by the Moors in the time of Charlemagne (eighth and ninth century); S. George, a monk in the Diocese of Vabres, afterwards Bishop of Lodève (877); S. Guasbert, founder and first abbot of the monastery of Montsalvy in the modern Diocese of St. Flour (eleventh century). Shrines

The chief shrines of the diocese are: Notre Dame de Ceignac, an ancient shrine rebuilt and enlarged in 1455, which over 15,000 pilgrims visit annually; Notre Dame du Saint Voile at Coupiac, another ancient shrine; Notre Dame des Treize Pierres at Villefranche, a pilgrimage dating from 1509. Natives

Among natives of the diocese are: Cardinal Bernard of Milhau, Abbot of St. Victor's at Marseilles in 1063, and legate of Gregory VII Theodatus de Gozon (d. 1353) and John of La Valletta (1494–1568), grand masters of the order of St. John of Jerusalem; the former is famous for his victory over the dragon of Rhodes, the latter for his heroic defence of Malta Frassinous (1765–1841), preacher and minister of worship under the Restoration Bonald (1754–1840) and Laromiguière (1736–1837), philosophers Affre (1793–1848), born at St. Rome de Tarn and slain at the Barricades as Archbishop of Paris. Ordinaries Georges d'Armagnac † ( 1529 Appointed - 1536 Appointed, Bishop of Vabres) Hardouin de Péréfixe de Beaumont † (22 Apr 1648 Appointed - 30 Jul 1662 Appointed, Archbishop of Paris) Gabriel de Voyer de Paulmy d'Argenson † ( 1666 Appointed - 11 Oct 1682 Died) Paul-Louis-Philippe de Lézay de Lusignan † ( 1683 Appointed - 25 Feb 1716 Died) Jean d'Yse (d'Ize) de Saléon † ( 1734 Appointed - 1747 Appointed, Archbishop of Vienne) Charles de Grimaldi d'Antibes † (22 Jan 1747 Ordained Bishop - 10 Mar 1770 Died) Jérôme-Marie Champion de Cicé † (24 Jun 1770 Appointed - 28 Jan 1781 Appointed, Archbishop of Bordeaux) Charles Colbert Seignelay de Castle Hill † (2 Apr 1781 Appointed - 1801 Resigned)* Charles-André-Toussaint-Bruno de Ramond-Lalande † (8 Aug 1817 Appointed - 9 Jan 1830 Appointed, Archbishop of Sens) Pierre Giraud † (9 Jan 1830 Appointed - 2 Dec 1841 Appointed, Archbishop of Cambrai) Jean-François Crozier † (22 Feb 1842 Appointed - 2 Apr 1855 Died) Louis-Auguste Delalle † (30 Aug 1855 Appointed - 6 Jun 1871 Died) Joseph-Christian-Ernest Bourret, C.O. † (19 Jul 1871 Appointed - 10 Jul 1896 Died) Jean-Augustin Germain † (14 Apr 1897 Appointed - 7 Dec 1899 Appointed, Archbishop of Toulouse) Louis-Eugène Francqueville † (7 Dec 1899 Appointed - 9 Dec 1905 Died) Charles du Pont de Ligonnès † (21 Feb 1906 Appointed - 5 Feb 1925 Died) Charles Challiol † (15 May 1925 Appointed - 11 Mar 1948 Died)

Carol Sklenicka and Roman Catholic Diocese of Rodez

Carol Sklenicka (born 1948 in San Luis Obispo, California) is an American biographer and essayist best known as the author of Raymond Carver: A Writer's Life, the first comprehensive biography of short story writer Raymond Carver.

Sklenicka was raised in Santa Maria, California, attended college California State Polytechnic College in San Luis Obispo and received a Ph. D. in English and American literature from Washington University in St. Louis, where she studied with Naomi Lebowitz, Stanley Elkin, and Howard Nemerov, in 1986. She taught literature and creative writing at Marquette University and at the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design prior to devoting herself to full-time writing. She lives near the Russian River in northern California with poet, novelist, and lyricist R. M. Ryan, author of Vaudeville in the Dark and several other books.

The publication of her biography of Carver, which was named one of the Ten Best Books of 2009 by The New York Times Magazine and a notable book by the San Francisco Chronicle, the Washington Post, and the Seattle Times, followed more than a decade of interviews with Carver's friends, family and writing colleagues. However, Carver's widow, poet Tess Gallagher, refused to be interviewed by Sklenicka. Some critics, most notably novelist Stephen King, writing in The New York Times Book Review, found that Sklenicka displayed "something like awe for Carver the writer" and was "almost nonjudgmental when it comes to Carver the nasty drunk and ungrateful (not to mention sometimes dangerous) husband," whereas Jason M. Appel, in Ploughshares, said "Carver, as presented by Sklenicka, is a man of profound moral shortcomings." Time found the book "judicious, thorough and sometimes harrowing".

Among the journals to which Sklenicka has contributed are Confrontation, South Atlantic Quarterly, Iowa Woman, and Sou'wester. She is an active member of Biographers International Organization.

Sklenicka is currently writing a biography of short-story writer and novelist Alice Adams.
143/511 141 142 144 145 146