Carterhatch Lane railway station and UQCRB

Carterhatch Lane Halt was a railway station built by the Great Eastern Railway in 1915 on the Southbury Loop line to the north east of London in the United Kingdom. It was opened in 1915 for munitions workers to access factories in the Lea Valley area. The Southbury Loop line was only operated by goods trains as the passenger service had been withdrawn in 1909 having not been very successful.

Contents 1 Design 2 Services 2.1 Withdrawal of Service 2.2 Electrification 3 Trivia 4 References

Design

The station was a very basic affair - a wooden platform long enough for two coaches and a couple of oil lamps for illumination. At the time the up line (towards Liverpool Street) was used for goods wagon storage so the platform was built on the down line. The platform was accessed via a wooden staircase from Carterhatch Lane which crossed the line at a loop at this point. Services

Services were operated by a Great Eastern Railway Auto-train operating 15 trains per day between Lower Edmonton Low-Level station and Cheshunt (although later some terminated at White Hart Lane). Motive power for the train was normally a Great Eastern Railway Y65 class (LNER classification F7) 2-4-2T tank engine. Withdrawal of Service

Once World War I was over, the need for the service all but disappeared and the service was withdrawn in 1919. The station name boards and lamps were removed soon after but the structure lasted at least until the outbreak of World War II.

Electrification

In the late 1950s the site was used for an electrification depot as the local Lea Valley Lines were electrified. A temporary signal box was opened to facilitate operation of the depot. This opened in early 1958 but was rarely used after electrification was completed in 1960 so the box was downgraded on 7 July 1960 to a ground frame (the line was being resignalled at the time) and then closed in February 1965.

The Southbury Loop was electrified in 1959/1960 and passenger services serving the other stations on the loop commenced on 21 November 1960. Carterhatch Lane station did not re-open. Trivia

The oil lamps were lit by the train guard and all had shades so the light would shine downwards as a war time precaution. When Zeppelin raiders were close the train would be positioned under the bridge and passengers would join the crew there until the danger passed.

UQCRB and Carterhatch Lane railway station

Ubiquinol-cytochrome c reductase binding protein, also known as UQCRB, is a protein which in humans is encoded by the UQCRB gene.

Contents 1 Structure 2 Function 3 References 4 Further reading

Structure

The gene product of UQCRB is a subunit of the respiratory chain protein Ubiquinol Cytochrome c Reductase (UQCR, Complex III or Cytochrome bc1 complex; E.C. 1.10.2.2), which consists of the products of one mitochondrially encoded gene, MTCYTB (mitochondrial cytochrome b) and ten nuclear genes: UQCRC1, UQCRC2, Cytochrome c1, UQCRFS1 (Rieske protein), UQCRB, "11kDa protein", UQCRH (cyt c1 Hinge protein), Rieske Protein presequence, "cyt. c1 associated protein", and "Rieske-associated protein". After processing, the cleaved leader sequence of the iron-sulfur protein is retained as subunit 9, giving 11 subunits from 10 genes. Function

The ubiquinone-binding protein is a nucleus-encoded component of ubiquinol-cytochrome c oxidoreductase (Complex III; EC 1.10.2.2) in the mitochondrial respiratory chain and plays an important role in electron transfer as a complex of ubiquinone and QP-C.

The bovine gene product (subunit 6) was sequenced under the name "ubiquinone-binding protein", however there is little or no evidence for a role in ubiquinone binding. Subunit 7 was identified as a Q-binding protein by photo-labeling with a ubiquinone analog (subsequent structures show it to be exposed to the lipid phase but not involved in either Q-binding site). Subunits 6 and 7 reverse position on transfer from Laemli gels to Weber&Osborne gels, and one might suspect the name "Q-binding protein" arose from confusion with subunit 7. However, it has been claimed that both proteins were separately identified as Q-binding proteins. Genome annotators improved the situation by naming this gene "UQCR binding", or UQCRB.
145/511 143 144 146 147 148